Part 1: The Basics of Affiliate Marketing
- ✓Affiliate marketing is a great way to boost your revenue while reaping all the benefits of reaching a wider audience for your site.
- ✓ The affiliate marketing arrangement between a site owner and an advertiser can be very lucrative and can be instrumental in taking your business to a higher level by selling more products and services.
- ✓ A simple explanation of affiliate marketing is that it’s an arrangement between an online marketer’s website and an affiliate’s (associate) web site where one party pays the other a commission to drive traffic to the site.
- ✓ The agreement between the merchant and another web site owner are usually arranged in the following ways: Pay per sale, pay per click or pay per lead.
Becoming an Affiliate
- ✓ Join an independent affiliate organization.
- ✓ Apply directly to an advertiser.
Making Affiliate Marketing Work For You
✓ You can’t just post an ad for an affiliate offer on your site, sit back and hope the commissions will come rolling in.
- ✓ You have to make a stab at knowing what the affiliate industry is all about and how best to optimize it for your needs.
- ✓ Some other things you should take into consideration before becoming an affiliate marketer include the following:
- ▪Who is your audience?
- ▪ Promote what you love.
- ▪Learn from the experts.
- ▪Attract customers with content.
✓Affiliate marketing is based on making sales that benefit your audience and those who advertise on your site. After your strategy is created, you’ll need to review the performance of the ads on a continuous basis.
Part 2: Learning the Lingo of Affiliate Marketing
- ✓ Above the fold – A section of the website that a visitor sees on the browser before having to scroll down.
- ✓Affiliate agreement – An agreement that clearly states the legalities, expectations and rules for both the merchant and the advertiser.
- ✓ Affiliate program – An agreement between a person (affiliate) and a merchant that encourages referrals to products and services by involving revenue sharing.
- ✓ Cookies – Used by websites across the net, cookies are used to identify a user that visits a site and track the conversion.
- ✓ CPA (Cost-Per-Action) – A platform where the merchant pays for individual actions taken by the visitor after viewing an affiliate’s ad.
- ✓CPC (Cost-Per-Click) – The amount to be paid for an individual click on an advertisement.
- ✓ CPL (Cost-Per-Lead) – A platform used by merchants to pay affiliates for every qualified lead sent to their sites.
- ✓ CTR (Click-Through-Rate) – a way of knowing the percentage of visitors to your site who click through from a link contained in an ad from an affiliate’s site.
- ✓Indie Program (Independent Affiliate Program) – An affiliate program run by a merchant that uses affiliate soJware rather than an affiliate network.
- ✓ PPC (Pay-Per-Click) – A platform in which the merchant pays a commission for each click from an affiliate’s website to theirs.
- ✓ROA (Return-On-AdverAsing) – The amount of money made from a particular advertising campaign.
- ✓ROI (Return-On-Investment) – A method of calculation that tells you how much gross profit you made from running a sales or promotion campaign.
- ✓ Squeeze Page – A web page dedicated to a desired sale or conversion (sign up, etc.).
Part 3: A Beginner’s Checklist of Affiliate Marketing Tasks
✓ Select a Niche
- ✓ Find an Offer You Want to Promote
- ✓ Targeting Traffic to a Blog or Website
- ✓ Blog About Products or Services that You’re Promoting.
- ✓ Add Affiliate Links to Your Content
Setting Yourself Up for Affiliate Marketing Success
- ✓ Build Trust.
✓ Be Above-Board in Your Actions
✓ Meet the Needs of Your Audience
✓ Select Your Promotions Carefully
✓ Always be relevant and up-to-date
Part 4: Final Thoughts about Affiliate Marketing
- ✓ Affiliate marketing may seem daunting to newcomers, but it really isn’t when you consider the amazing technology we have today.
- ✓ The bottom line is that it takes patience and diligence to become a successful affiliate marketer.
- ✓ There are no shortcuts.
If you know affiliate marketing is the next revenue stream you’d like to add, check out the affiliate marketing program offered for TweetBoss.